Thursday, January 22, 2015

Goal #92 Go to the Utah Symphony at Abravanall Hall (see Chihuly glass sculpture)

For my birthday I decided to go to the Symphony, and it was marvelous! It made me feel cultured and fancy.

Part of the point was to see the red Chihuly glass sculpture...

I learned afterward that the 30 foot glass sculpture was purchased as a memorial of the 2002 winter olympics hosted in Salt Lake City. The artwork, originally called "Chihuly 2002" is now often referred to as the "Olympic Tower."

Another part of the point was to listen to the Symphony, which was amazing! I've never heard such impressive musicianship! We heard two pieces: Shostakovich's Symphony No. 15 (his autobiography, which definitely shows how hard his life was in Russia) and Tchaikovsky's The Nutcracker (which was light and delightful). I'd definitely recommend going to the pre-concert lecture -- I wouldn't have appreciated the Shostakovich nearly as much without that background info!

Afterwards we got French pastries at Gourmandise. Super fun night with some classy people. :)


My dollar for completing this goal goes to the GoFundMe account for Mrs. Sanchez, who makes a living by selling homemade tamales here in Provo.




No comments:

Post a Comment