Friday, January 23, 2015

Goal #16 Go to 5 festivals (4-6/5): Chalk Art Festival, Festival of Trees, Christmas Market

One of my favorite things about living in Utah is the community events. They have festivals all the time. I love things that bring the community together--marathons, parades, festivals--it makes me feel united with the people I live among, but don't necessarily know. I don't know if I can explain it, but I love it. Here are the last festivals I went to, exceeding my goal of going to 5 new ones!

Chalk Art Festival
Put on at Riverwoods mall every fall, raises money for charity. Some of the artwork was stunning. I enjoyed it, but if choosing between this one and the Chalk Art Festival at the Gateway in SLC, choose the latter.



Festival of Trees
Hosted in the Sandy Convention Center each December, raises money for the Children's hospital. Such a blast! It totally exceeded my expectations. The most ornately decorated trees and insane gingerbread houses you've ever seen!
Photo Credit

Inmates at the women's prison made this Frozen-themed gingerbread house

Christmas Market
The second year Provo has put this on. It was supposed to be a German Christmas Market. Honestly I expected more. It felt just like a farmer's market you'd see any time of the year. I probably won't go again. Here were the only Christmasy parts:
As I leave, who is on their way but the Grinch?

Carving an ice sculpture before our eyes
Overall I've enjoyed going to these new festivals, and I'm glad this goal pushed me to go to some obscure ones (like the lawn mower races in Lindon!). My dollar for completing this goal goes to the GoFundMe account for Mrs. Sanchez, who I have seen on the street selling tamales and wished I had cash to give her.

No comments:

Post a Comment