Sunday, November 30, 2014

Goal #44 Missionary work: post 20 Mormon-themed things on Facebook, Twitter, or my blog

This "goal" may seem a little strange, so I want to explain it first. I made this goal because I want to be more transparent about my beliefs.  I know that in person it is obvious that I am a person of faith, but my online presence is a little more guarded.  And I want my online self to be an accurate reflection who I am and what I think about.

Without further ado, here are my 20 "things:"

1. Invitation to listen to October 2013 general conference (where the leaders of our church give timely messages to the whole world, broadcast online and on tv).


2. Quoted one of the twelve apostles on Twitter


3. Posted a blog post explaining general conference on Facebook. I think it's a really well-written post, if you wanna read the real thing.


4. Wrote in my thought blog (this blog is what I'm doing, the other--updated less frequently--is what I'm thinking about) about trials and suffering, and the how the purposes of God in my life are accomplished by them. Here's an excerpt:

5. Posted a quote from a prophet


6. Shared a resource I found for studying the scriptures. It has commentary about each chapter!



7. Tweeted in Portuguese and English during the Christmas devotional...just noticed that I got the hashtag wrong on the Portuguese one--dang! (The 2014 Christmas Devotional is Sunday, Dec 7th at 6pm MST)

8. Asked for prayers, and definitely got some!

9. Shared a video that explains what we think about the purpose of life. Watch the video here.

10. Invited people to hear me speak in church.


11. Tweeted/Instagrammed a picture of the view from the Provo Temple



12. Shared a quote I loved from church. The sister who taught the lesson is so wise!
13. Shared a video the Church produced during Easter. To this day I think it is one of the most powerful testimonies of Christ I have seen. Watch it here!


14. Changed my cover pic to the general conference announcement


15. Tweeted during the April general conference. Read the original talk here.


16. Shared a new way to be grateful (not an explicitly Mormon post, but it's part of what we believe)

17. Shared how to stand up against indecent broadcast material (also not explicitly Mormon, but something we believe).


18. Tweeted during the general women's meeting


19. Tweeted during the October 2014 general conference. The three talks I mention are here, here, and here. :)

20. Shared a website from a Baptist minister who tells why he loves the Book of Mormon and why everyone should read it. So interesting!


And, as a bonus, I'm posting this new Christmas video today! As with many other goals, I hope the practice won't stop with completing the goal, but become a habit (remember my budgeting goal? I budget faithfully every month now, and LOVE it).



It was really fun to go back through Facebook, Twitter, and my other blog to write this post. I found little gems of my faith sprinkles throughout my posts about grad school, fun things with friends, current events, life hacks, products and services I love, and things that make me laugh. I think I got the mixture just right. This is me. This is my life.

As with every goal I complete, I'm donating a dollar to charity. The dollar for this goal went to Typhoon Hayan relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment