Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Goal #72 Try 100 new recipes: 18-19/100

One of my favorite drinks (my all time favorite drink is lemon lime flavored Airborne...I know it's weird) is horchata. My favorite Mexican dessert is Tres Leches cake ("three milks"). And I recently had successful experiences making both!

Horchata is this delicious rice-cinnamon drink. It sounds weird if you haven't tried it, but I promise it's REALLY good. Here is the recipe I tried. I chose it because 1) the author is Mexican 2) you use real rice in it and 3) it uses sweetened condensed milk. All Brazilian desserts have sweetened condensed milk, so I figure it might be the same for Mexico...and let's face it--sweetened condensed milk is delicious!

I think it would have been a really good recipe...if I had had a colander. But alas, a pasta strainer lets all the blended rice bits through. So it was pretty grainy. I still give it 4/5 stars.
This is NOT what mine looked like...but you get the idea
I also made an EASY version of Tres Leches. Easy, as in, it uses a boxed cake mix! Hallelujah! Betty Crocker says to use her yellow cake mix, but I used her white one. The three milks I used were sweetened condensed milk (!), evaporated milk, and whipping cream. Yum. The cake basically marinates in the three milks, producing a really moist, sweet cake. Instead of using Betty Crocker white frosting, I used Cool Whip, which was a great, light complement to this rich cake. And I top mine with strawberries. It was excellent. addicting. a total crowd pleaser at dinner group. and Mexican culture night. Mmmm 5/5 stars!

Mine kind of looked like this. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment